Monday, February 14, 2011

Newspaper Experience

My actual experience with newspapers is fairly limited. I delivered newspapers as a child; this provided some immersion into newspapers, but had little to do with their actual content or purpose. During high school I was in our school and local town newspaper several times. The reasons for this ranged from sports related stories all the way to short excerpts detailing the conditions and reasons for the arrests. I remember browsing the New York Times online for various projects in high school, and I have used them as well during college for the same reasons. So apart from the occasional stumbling upon an article directly related to the material my paper was on I did not do much with them. I would also occasionally take a look at the comics in the Washington Post when I was living out there. My interaction with newspapers today is even more limited than it was in earlier years. I do not get a newspaper delivered to me today, and I have never purchased a newspaper. I get a daily news feed on my phone and that does very well for me. Also, the school newspaper has recently switched to an entirely online editions as well. I believe this is a foreshadowing for what most newspapers are going to have to do to survive. The newspaper has come to a point in its life where it needs to make a change or not survive. Online newspapers and news feeds provide serious competition for the average consumers time. This is something I believer newspaper producers need to take into serious consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment